Therium Access announces second round of grant awards to improve access to justice in the UK
- Since launching eight months ago, Therium Access has committed £900,000 to benefit tens of thousands of vulnerable people.
- First major initiative of its kind dedicated to facilitating access to justice by the litigation funding industry.
- Deadline for next round of grant applications is 30 April 2020 and information can be found at theriumaccess.org
Jersey, Channel Islands, 5 November 2019. Therium Group Holdings Limited, one of the world’s leading providers of litigation, arbitration and specialty legal finance, today announced the second recipients of grant awards by Therium Access, the firm’s not-for-profit arm dedicated to facilitating access to justice.
This follows the recent appointment of Lord John Thomas of Cwmgiedd to its Advisory Committee and Jeunesse Mensier as Grant Programme Director.
The recipients of this grant round are:
- The Child Poverty Action Group: a grant for the employment of an additional solicitor to build the capacity of their award-winning legal team which conducts strategic litigation to end child poverty;
- JUSTICE: a grant towards their core costs to support their work which seeks to effect systemic change within the UK justice system by producing in-depth reports and recommendations;
- Advocate: a grant for the employment of their volunteer manager who facilitates and supports the laudable pro bono efforts of the Bar by representing those who cannot afford legal representation;
- The Free Representation Unit: a grant for the employment of a legal officer to provide full casework and advocacy in the social security and employment tribunals;
- National Family Mediation: a grant for the employment of a call handler to provide early advice and arrange mediation for families going through divorce or separation;
- The Speakeasy Law Centre: a grant for the employment of a new trainee solicitor who will provide legal advice to vulnerable people in the Cardiff area and ultimately qualify as a solicitor with experience in legal aid and social welfare law;
- Project for Registration of Children as British Citizens: a grant for the employment of a legal administrator and towards their core costs to support the specialist advice and strategic litigation they conduct on complex children’s citizenship issues; and
- Central England Law Centre: a grant towards their Birmingham centre’s core costs to support the direct advice they provide to local people and to bring strategic litigation cases.
In addition, Therium Access has approved grants for two strategic litigation cases. Further information on these grants will follow in due course.
Launched in March 2019, Therium Access has committed to providing grants worth a total sum of £900,000 to date. It is anticipated that tens of thousands of people will benefit from these grants, either by receiving direct advice and support or by the strategic litigation conducted by these organisations.
Therium Access is the first of its kind initiative in the litigation funding industry. Grants awarded by Therium Access are intended to promote access to justice for those who lack the funds necessary to pursue or defend claims, as well as supporting projects that seek to improve access to justice.
John Byrne, Co-Founder and CEO of Therium Capital Management Limited, said: “We were overwhelmed by the number of worthy applications we received. It is humbling to see the incredible work that so many organisations are doing every day to support the most vulnerable people in our society. Therium is proud to offer support to a number of these inspirational organisations and we look forward to building even more relationships in the advice sector.”
Lord Falconer, Chairman of Therium Access Advisory Committee said: “These grants demonstrate the depth of the impact Therium Access has. Most of our grants have been made to organisations which provide direct advice to those most in need, but it is also critical to support organisations which seek to challenge, influence or change the law.”
About Therium Access
Therium Access is the primary expression of Therium’s corporate and social responsibility programme. Therium Access dispenses with the criteria of funding for profit and has the sole purpose of facilitating access to justice. Therium Access is a mark of Therium’s wider commitment to the pursuit of justice and the rule of law.
Therium Access accepts applications from charities and other entities whose services and projects facilitate access to justice or from those seeking assistance to obtain legal representation on cases (including defence) which have strategic importance. The applicant’s need and the impact of the grant will be important factors in our review process. The deadline for the submission of the next round of grant applications is 30 April 2020. In addition, urgent applications may be considered on an ad hoc basis. Applications need to be made by legal representatives or the entity seeking a grant. The board of Therium Access is assisted by an Advisory Committee which is chaired by Lord Falconer, former Lord Chancellor, Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs and Secretary of State for Justice.
Therium Access aims to support access to justice in the broadest terms and considers applications that further the following causes (in no particular order):
- The right to legal representation or due process;
- The proper and efficient administration of justice;
- The advancement of human rights;
- The promotion of equalityof rights and diversity;
- The protection of children, the elderly, the disabled, minorities, asylum seekers and other vulnerable or disadvantagedgroups;
- The advancement of environmental protection or improvement;
- The promotion of legal educationthat furthers the causes listed above; and
- Any othercase or project in which a person, group, or entity will not have access to justice without financial assistance.
Therium Access is intended to be a global initiative. Its initial focus is on the UK and it will be rolled out in other jurisdictions in a number of planned phases.
Therium is a leading global provider of litigation and arbitration and specialty legal finance. Over that period, Therium has funded claims with a total value exceeding £34 billion, including many of the largest and most high profile funded cases in the UK. With investment teams in the UK, USA, Australia, Spain and Norway, Therium has established a track record of success in litigation finance in all forms, including single case litigation and arbitration funding, funding law firms and portfolios of litigation and arbitration claims. Therium is also a founding member of the Association of Litigation Funders of England and Wales.
Therium Access and its not-for-profit funding is the latest innovation from Therium which has consistently been at the forefront of innovation in litigation finance, pioneering the combined use of insurance tools alongside funding vehicles, and introducing portfolio funding products into the UK. Therium’s ability to develop innovative funding arrangements and bespoke financial solutions for litigants and law firms complements its unmatched experience and rigorous approach to funding a wide range of commercial disputes throughout the world.
Chambers and Partners have ranked Therium as a Tier 1 litigation funder and Neil Purslow, the firm’s Chief Investment Officer, as a leading individual in the litigation funding industry, for the last two years.
In February this year, Therium Capital Management was top ranked as one of the two “Leading” litigation and arbitration funding firms in the UK by legal and business directory Leaders League, in their 2019 ranking of litigation funding. Therium was also ranked as “Excellent” in the 2019 US ranking.
+44 (0)7775 522740